Tuesday, March 18, 2008

You are what you play

I figured it would be a good idea to compile the list of games that I have played extensively throughout the course of my life. I'll list them in no particular order of favoritism, but chances are they will be in chronological order simply because it will be easier to remember them that way as I'm making the list. For a game to qualify for this list, I should be able to name it off the top of my head after having been removed from it for over 10 years or more. I was serious about these games! Something to note is that when I was just a wee lad playing these games, I played them because I wanted to beat them, they weren't just entertainment. I'm sure a lot of people in this realm of life are the same way, though.

NES
  1. Mario Brothers 3 - Who didn't love this game
  2. Tecmo Super Bowl - The godfather of football games, step aside Madden
  3. Smash TV - Very fun, unique smash-em-up game
  4. Micro Machines - Great racing game, surprisingly challenging in areas
  5. Dig Dug II - Highly addicting, unique gameplay
  6. Adventure Island II - Cooler version of a Mario-style game
  7. Legend of Zelda - One of the best games ever made
  8. Mario Brothers - Again, everyone loves this game
  9. Ms. Pacman - Classic
  10. Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing - Great simulation racing game
  11. Mike Tyson's Punch Out - Talk about a fun game
  12. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II Arcade - Challenging gameplay
  13. Excitebike - Ahead of it's time. Level editor, are you kidding me? Fun!
  14. R.C Pro-Am - Great racing game, pretty challenging
  15. Bad News Baseball - Really fun
  16. Gunsmoke - Addicting, great sleepover game
Sega
  1. Sonic 2 - Just like Mario, everyone loves this great game
  2. Battletoads - Great gameplay, classic
  3. Madden 1995 - The start of a long relationship with me and Madden
  4. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - One of the best games made for the platform
  5. Mutant League Football - Great alternative take on football. I still play this game!
  6. NHL 1995 - Really fun to play
  7. World Series Baseball - Very impressive on all levels. Home Run Derby mode is more addicting than crack.
  8. NBA Jam - One of the most fun games I've played
Sega Game Gear
  1. Joe Montana Football - Absolutely great football game, better than Madden on this platform. I still play this!
  2. Columns - Basically tetris with some nice aesthetics and a few tweaks. Really fun
  3. G-Loc Air Battle - Very impressive fighter jet combat game
  4. Deep Duck Trouble - Addicting adventure game, sort of like Mario. Challenging in areas
Nintendo 64
  1. Super Mario - Amazingly in-depth game. Lots of fun
  2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - I don't think I have to explain this one. Put Mario to shame as far as I'm concerned.
  3. Cruisin' 64 - Great racing game, very addicting
  4. Doom 64 - Not as good as the original PC version, but still a load of fun as is to be expected
  5. Goldeneye 007 - Quite possibly the greatest gameplay ever. How much fun was it playing multiplayer on "Facility" and guarding your side of the map with hidden proximity mines?! I still play this game today.
  6. Wave Race 64 - Highly fun and addicting game.
  7. Pilot Wings - The freedom given to the player in this game is what makes it so fun.
  8. WWF War Zone - Super fun!
  9. NFL Blitz - Probably one of the most fun games I've played. This was always a nice aside from my friend and I's intense Madden games. We took this pretty seriously though, as well.
  10. San Francisco Rush Racing 1 and 2 - Challenges Goldeneye 007 for most addicting and fun games. The scope of these games is staggering.
  11. Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey - Great gameplay, a ton of fun
  12. Madden (all of them) - Madden is the game closest to my heart, and it really took off for me on the 64.
Playstation 2

(Note: This list is small due to the fact that I became semi-professionally involved with Madden, and it was just not ideal to play anything other than Madden)
  1. Madden - This game deserves it's own post, so I'll spare details but to say that I have traveled all over the country playing this game, and made some money in the process.
  2. GTA (all of them) - Hands down one of the most addicting and fun games
  3. Midnight Club Racing - Really fun, looks great too
  4. Medal of Honor Front Line - Really solid game
  5. Tiger Woods Golf - Who thought golf could be so fun?
XBox / Xbox 360
  1. Madden - See above.
PC

(Yeah yeah, limited mainly to outdated first person shooters)
  1. Original Doom - This game is still fun today. It needs no introduction.
  2. Quake 3 Arena - Again, another id Software masterpiece that still has people playing it online. I've spent more time with this game than I'd care to admit, including both playing and editing source code.
  3. Final Doom - More of the same: greatness.
  4. Saints & Sinners Bowling - Really fun gameplay tweaks transform bowling into a whole new realm.
  5. Pogo Bowling - Great casual game
  6. Sam & Max - First PC game I really got into other than Doom, loads of fun.

No comments: