Friday, March 21, 2008

Team Game Project - Update

We had our first meeting today, it went really well. I met the girl from the music department for the first time today, she's really into the software side of the game, so that's a huge plus. At the meeting I basically gave them the run-down of my idea for the checkers game that I've mentioned in a previous post. It was more or less an absorption session for them to sort of get on the same page with me. I was/am open to another game idea, but they seemed to like it.

We seem to have agreed on using C++ and SDL, so I'm happy about that. I've got a pretty substantial project already completed using these technologies, so that should save us some time right off the bat.

They asked me to put together a design doc for the game, and I've now done that. I may attach it to the end of this post if I remember... As I was outlining the gameplay features I'd like to have in the game, it was amazing how quickly things branched into other things. It really sparks the creative process. I imagine that increasing when the other members of the team get into it and they'll form their own ideas as well, should be exciting.

The goal is to meet up again sometime soon and essentially play checkers offline and incorporate some of the gameplay tweaks. This will allow us to see what will work, what won't, and what needs to be adjusted. It should also give us some other ideas too. I can't wait for this stage, should be really fun. After that, the design document should be close to finalized and then we can start breaking the project down into tasks and assign people to them.

Sometime concurrently to all of this we'll be getting some server software setup to house some version control, simple website, maybe even spring up a blog just for the project, etc...

All in all the meeting was a total success. We were all able to communicate freely, everyone got along, and things just flowed. Very good signs. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: